Monday, February 13, 2012

Connections Class: Prayer Changes Things (2) - Confession

Prayer is an essential ingredient of our Christian faith, but sometimes people find it hard to pray. This short series discusses different types of prayers, as well as focusing on how and what to pray for.
Confession – 12th century French word (time of Crusades)

1.         acknowledgment; avowal; admission: a confession of incompetence.
2.         acknowledgment or disclosure of sin or sinfulness, especially to a priest to obtain   absolution.
3.         something that is confessed.
4.         a formal, usually written, acknowledgment ofguilt by a person accused of a crime.
5.         Also called confession of faith. 
            a formal profession of belief and acceptance of doctrines, as before being admitted to       church membership

Example of prayer of confession in today’s bulletin

People:           Gracious Father, we still pursue our sinful desires and selfishly make bad choices; we sometimes neglect Your holy words and choose to act upon our own understanding. Forgive us for being foolish and unwise, insensitive and ungrateful. We know that we cannot hide from Your gaze, nor can we flee from Your presence. You know everything about us and every secret that we hide. Pardon us for avoiding the truth, and forgive us for allowing self-centered pride to dictate our decisions. Hear us now as we solemnly ask for mercy.

What are we saying about God with these words of prayer? What are we saying about ourselves?

Why do we have a time of silence after these confessions? How does Jesus teach us to confess in prayer?
Bible example of Prayer of Confession: Psalm 51

For the director of music. A psalm of David. When the prophet Nathan came to him after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba.


1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. 
2 Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. 
4 Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. 
5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. 
6 Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place. 

Why does David come to God with his confessions? What reasons does he give for sinning? What does he hope that God will do for him? Do we hope the same when we make our confessions?

7Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. 
8 Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. 
9 Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. 
10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. 
11 Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. 
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. 

How does David feel about his sin? How has this affected his relationship with God? What does he hope for from God? What does he fear the most and why?

13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you. 
14 Save me from bloodguilt, O God, the God who saves me, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness. 
15 O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. 
16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. 
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. 
18 In your good pleasure make Zion prosper; build up the walls of Jerusalem. 
19 Then there will be righteous sacrifices, whole burnt offerings to delight you; then bulls will be offered on your altar.

What promises does David say he will fulfill if he is forgiven? Why is this important to him? Why is a sacrifice not necessary? What does David declare to be essential for a true/ successful confession before God? Does verse 19 seem out of place???

Other questions/ notes/ comments about confession?


Prayer

Create in us pure hearts, O God, and renew steadfast spirits within us. 
Do not cast us from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from us. 
Restore to us the joy of your salvation and grant us willing spirits, to sustain us. 
In Jesus’ Name, we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment