Sunday, February 19, 2012

Connections Class: Prayer Changes Things (3) - Intercession

Prayer is an essential ingredient of our Christian faith, but sometimes people find it hard to pray. This short series discusses different types of prayers, as well as focusing on how and what to pray for.

Intercession – 15th century French word (Pre-Reformation – time of indulgences)

1.         an act or instance of interceding.
2.         an interposing or pleading on behalf of another person.
3.         a prayer to God on behalf of another.
4.         Roman History. The interposing of a veto, as by a tribune.

Example of prayer of intercession in today’s bulletin

Pastor:                        You are near to us, O Lord, and Your promises are true. We bring before You our loved ones, our neighbors, other people, and ourselves. We need You to heal us of everything that harms us in body, mind, heart, and soul. Hear us now, as we inwardly pray.

Silent prayers for ourselves and others. A candle is lit.

What makes these prayers, spoken and silent, prayers of intercession? What else could we make our prayers about? How do we use the silence effectively? Why is it important?

Bible examples of Prayers of Intercession

Exodus 32:30-34         (just after the Hebrew people had been severely punished for making and worshipping the golden calf in the wilderness)
30 The next day Moses said to the people, "You have committed a great sin. But now I will go up to the LORD; perhaps I can make atonement for your sin." 
31 So Moses went back to the LORD and said, "Oh, what a great sin these people have committed! They have made themselves gods of gold. 
32 But now, please forgive their sin--but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written." 
33 The LORD replied to Moses, "Whoever has sinned against me I will blot out of my book. 
34 Now go, lead the people to the place I spoke of, and my angel will go before you. However, when the time comes for me to punish, I will punish them for their sin."

What does Moses teach us about the seriousness of interceding with God? Is this a risk that we take when we pray prayers of intercession? What is the outcome of this prayer? Has it worked?

NOTES



John 17:20-24 (the whole seventeenth chapter of John’s Gospel is Christ’s great prayer of intercession for the Church)

20-21 "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 
22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 
23 I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 
24 "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

Who is Christ praying for? Why does He need to intercede for them; doesn’t God already know? What does this tell us about the importance of voicing our intercessions? What is Christ praying for? Has this prayer been successful?


Hebrews 4:14-16        (Jesus the Great High Priest)

14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 
15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin. 
16 Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

How does Jesus intercede for us? What makes His intercessions so effective? How could we display that same effectiveness in our own prayers? Why are mercy and grace so important in our times of need?

First Part of President Roosevelt’s Prayer of intercession on the evening of D-Day, June 6, 1944

Almighty God: Our sons, pride of our nation, this day have set upon a mighty endeavor, a struggle to preserve our Republic, our religion, and our civilization, and to set free a suffering humanity.

Lead them straight and true; give strength to their arms, stoutness to their hearts, steadfastness in their faith.

They will need Thy blessings. Their road will be long and hard. For the enemy is strong. He may hurl back our forces. Success may not come with rushing speed, but we shall return again and again; and we know that by Thy grace, and by the righteousness of our cause, our sons will triumph.

No comments:

Post a Comment